Campus News Featured FEATURED STORIES Home Uncategorized

Senior Art Students Showcase Years of Work

annual-student-show-opt2013-38
Student work featured in the Senior Show.

WEST LONG BRANCH, NJ– The opening reception of the Monmouth University Senior Show, hosted by the Department of Art and Design, kicked off Friday November 21, at 7:00pm in The Ice House Gallery. The Senior Show featured the art of graduating seniors Kristina Elkington, Kristin Consentino, Brendan Sullivan, and Emmanuel Adekunle.
The Senior Show is an opportunity for seniors graduating with a major or minor in Graphic Design, Fine Art, or Animation to display work from their last four years at Monmouth University. The walls of the Ice House Gallery were covered with various pieces of art that was created by the four seniors during their time at Monmouth University. Students, families, professors, and members of the community filled the Ice House for the two-hour duration of the opening reception.
The seniors were given complete freedom to choose whatever pieces of their artwork they wanted to display.   The work of Kristina Elkington, who will recieve a minor in photography, filled the entire bottom floor of the Ice House Gallery. Elkington displayed a photography series containing pictures of her grandmother’s house.  Elkington said, “I chose to display this series because it really is so meaningful to my family. I was very excited, thankful, and emotional when actually seeing my photos displayed. I think I was mainly emotional at the fact my grandmother was actually able to make the exhibit and I could watch her show off the things that others may perceive as junky artifacts”
The Department of Art and Design will hold a second senior show in the spring for students graduating in the 2015 spring semester.