WEST LONG BRANCH, N.J. – Fall is a favorite season for many people because of the perfect weather, relaxed atmosphere, and warming ambiance it brings. Fall is a great time of year to be outside, to go on adventures, and to just enjoy time with friends and family. There are plenty of things to do this season that take advantage of all the fun fall has to offer. So, without further ado, here are seven things to do this season that are guaranteed to put you in the autumnal spirit.
- Apple and pumpkin picking. This fall activity is one of the best, most popular things to do in autumn. Apple and pumpkin picking is not only tons of fun, but it can also be super cheap. Many places only charge less than one dollar for a pound of apples or pumpkins. The best part about this activity is that you can enjoy the outdoors and the wonderful weather fall has to offer, all while stocking up on your supply of fresh apples and festive pumpkins.
- Go to a haunted house. Haunted houses scream fall (figuratively and literally). Depending on your preferred scare factor, you can attend haunted houses that range from a few jump-scares to straight up bone-chilling terror houses. One of the most widely-known haunted houses near Monmouth University is Terror Behind Walls at the Philadelphia Eastern State Penitentiary. However, this haunted attraction is definitely not for the faint of heart – testimonials from their website provide a warning to the true terror inside those walls.
- Wine Tasting. Age-permitting, a perfect fall activity for a relaxing afternoon is wine tasting. Gather a group of friends or family and spend a calm day sipping various wines, snacking on finger foods, and soaking up the autumn sun. Vineyards and wineries are absolutely breathtaking when decked out in fall colors, so you can sit back and have a drink with a stunning view. Not far from the University, 4JG’s Winery holds events regularly for locals who are looking for some wine to help them unwind.
- Carve pumpkins. After you go apple and pumpkin picking, take those pumpkins home and carve them! It’s a really cheap and easy activity that also happens to be fun for the whole family. Put on some spooky music and have a contest to see who can carve the scariest pumpkin. You can even save all of the seeds from the pumpkin and pop them in the oven for a post-carving snack.
- Spend a day baking. Now is the time to take all of those apples you picked and bake, baby, bake! Apple pies are an essential fall desert, but there are endless possibilities of fall themed treats to bake. Halloween cookies, pumpkin cupcakes, cranberry muffins, cinnamon buns, apple cider donuts – you name it; you can bake it this season. If you can’t afford a traditional cook book, check out Pinterest for an unlimited supply of recipes online.
Rent a cabin and go camping. It’s a little too chilly to camp out in a tent, but you can still enjoy the camping experience in a warm and cozy cabin. There are tons of campsites in the New York and New Jersey area where cabin rentals are available for great prices; for example, Allaire State Park charges only $48 per night for a cabin that sleeps up to 4 people. Hiking, toasting marshmallows, fishing, and cuddling by the fire are just a few of the ways you can make lasting memories this fall.
- Tailgate at a football game. Fall means football season, and football season means it’s time to tailgate. Fall temperatures are perfect for barbecuing outside while you throw the ball around with family and friends. It is also a great way to get everyone together and cheer on your favorite team, or support your university’s team. You can find the Hawk’s football schedule here.
Fall brings perfect weather, and perfect opportunities for having fun outdoors or getting cozy indoors. Make the most of this season – take advantage of all autumn has to offer, and make memories with the people you love.