Uncategorized

Insecurities need an outlet

I’m very repetitive when it comes to my story but that’s only because I believe in how it changed me. I believe that horses have changed my life. Not only that, but the discipline changed my life also. Being that it is a lifelong journey, show jumping and horseback riding in general has given me something to work towards and look forward to. Every horse is different; every day is different. It gives me the courage to never give up because you’re never going to be perfect. You may have perfect rounds at shows but it will never be consistent. I know horseback riding isn’t for everyone, I get it. But I think if you find something that you’re good at, passionate about, and willing to work towards, you’re golden.

The thing with insecurities is they need an outlet. Whether that’s journaling, going to the gym, or going to see a therapist to talk about things, doing other activities help keep us sane. Once you find something that can distract those feelings while giving you an emotional high, you’re on the road to never going back. I crave the feeling of going over the jumps with my horse. There’s no other feeling like it. The other feeling I crave is enough adrenaline to make me wonder why I even was insecure in the first place.

If you think about it, every sport is ever changing. If you are a singer with an incredible voice, there is always going to be a song that challenges you. If you are a soccer player, there’s always gonna be another season filled with different people that will challenge you. My point is if you are passionate about what you do, you will become confident through just that. Horseback riding is my saving grace because it has allowed me to challenge myself without second guessing a single thing. It’s something that I can always improve on while still believing in myself.

So find that one thing in your life that you believe can change you. I never believed that doing something outside of journaling can increase your confidence but it turns out that’s how you start to build it. It may take time to find that one thing, it took me 15 years to find mine. But after, you will notice that the confidence you get from the sport will carry over into other parts of your life.