Uncategorized

You’re Never Alone in the Show Ring

If you told me two years ago that horses can jump 5 feet, I would have called you crazy. I had no idea what show jumping was or that it even existed. Now it’s my all-time favorite thing in the world. The adrenaline rush you get from jumping over the jumps is unlike any other feeling. After only riding for five months, my old trainer put up a cross rail for me and Ziggy to jump. I had no idea what I was doing at first but I knew I love the feeling because I didn’t have any fear. Fast forward six months, I got the hang of going with the motion of the horse. Fast forward one year, I’m jumping horses rated horse shows. Show jumping is literally the best thing in the world.

If you watch a slow-motion video of a horse jumping over a meter, then you see that all four legs are off the ground at one point. I like to think of this as flying. When I jump, I feel like I’m free. It’s such a fluid motion too. The motion alone just makes you love it so much. And the higher you go, the more intense the adrenaline feels and the exciting stomach feeling increases, which is my favorite part.

You always have that companion competing with you. You’re never alone and that’s why show jumping or any equestrian sport for that matter is so special. I can’t imagine not having my best friend be there at the same time. If you have any nervous going into the show ring, I guarantee those feelings will disappear once you hear the bell. You’re working as a team and it’s a complete partnership which is what I love about it.

Show jumping is great because everything is brand new. Every show is different and is a new adventure. The horses are fresh because their environment is different. You have to memorize your course and walk the course. You have to warm your horse up and jump in the warm up before you go into the jumping ring. It’s a process but it’s very very exciting.

One thing that I always mention with show jumping is the fact that there is so much trust involved. It’s a 50-50 partnership so your goal is to work with the horse to get over the jump and finish the course. If you don’t trust them, they’ll feel that and they won’t jump over the jump or you get stiff in the air and then that’ll teach them not to jump. Trust is my biggest thing with horses and I am so thankful that I am not fearful in the slightest because that trust is a necessity.

Show jumping is such a dream come true. I feel like I am living the dream because I get to do this every week. I highly recommend it.