Culture Fashion Home

How to Stay Stylish in the Winter

What kind of image comes to mind when you hear the word “Style?”

Images taken from: Refined Style
All of the above looks are gorgeous to me, but they are not for everyone. Everyone has their own taste and individual opinion on what looks and feels good enough to wear. It can be challenging to dress for the winter because you have to think of two things: layers and warmth, without sacrificing style. Anyone can show off their winter style if they exude confidence and good taste. What I mean by that is, regardless of your personal taste in clothes or accessories, any outfit can look great with a little bit of thought and preparation.
Style can change over time, just like how a person can change over time. We may dress more sloppy or “not put together” when we are going to the grocery store, the gym, or to a close friend or family’s house. The “take me as I am” mentality  is something you may consider when you don’t want to try too hard or pay much attention to your appearance. Most of us have multiple responsibilities that do not allow us to stand in front of the mirror for three hours analyzing every accessory and clothing choice for the day. Only an elite blogger, model, or celebrity superstar would have time for that – or do they? Do all of the famous and rich have stylists? Is that why they look so great all the time?

In college, I have definitely become pretty low-maintenance wearing a black jacket, scarf, sweatshirt, blouse type shirt, leggings, and boots on most days. Like many college students, I can be a little bit lazy with what I wear during the weekday, especially after working late or writing a paper because “I don’t have anyone to impress in class” or the “I just don’t care” attitude. I’ve said that a bunch of times, but really, when I think about it, what you wear really does say a lot about you. It labels you as soon as you walk out the door. As much as we like to say, beauty is skin deep or “Don’t judge a book by it’s cover” pretty much everyone on the outside views you because of what you wear ALL THE TIME without even knowing it (and not just for job interviews). Coco Chanel, renowned French fashion designer once said, “Dress shabbily and they remember the dress; dress impeccably and they remember the woman.” The clothes you chose to wear on a daily basis says a lot about you as a person.
Classic street style. Images taken from: Refined Style

Photo Credit: Refined Style

So how do you stay stylish this winter? Wear a lot of layers such as a comfy sweater/long sleeve shirt, scarf, gloves, hat, and invest in a good pair of winter boots. The basics every college student should have in their closet include a button down shirt/long sleeve, sweaters, sweatshirts, leggings, jeans, and boots or sneakers. Always stay true to your style, and only splurge on stylish clothing that are of good quality and will last a long time. According to Wordnik.com, style can be defined as a “A quality of imagination and individuality expressed in one’s actions and tastes.” Fashionable can be defined as  “Conforming to the current style; stylish.” Is it really necessary to conform to the current style in order to be stylish? I don’t think so. Actually, I think quite the opposite.

Think about some of the latest trends right now. Do you think cut-outs on the back or sides of dresses are flattering on everyone? Does the neon trend look trendy on everyone? No. Basically, I am trying to get across a message that style is really subjective and personal to the persons’ individual interests, likes, and dislikes. Style cannot be divided up into categories of “preppy” “edgy” or “sporty” there are so many different dimensions or types of style out there. An individuals style can change everyday. Or every hour, if you really have the time to go back home and change for every occasion.

Would you wear this?

Image taken from: S photos

Style is all about dressing your body well in clothing that complements your figure. It is not about always being up-to-date on current trends and designers. Well, sometimes it is, but I hope you are over the age of 14 and can move on from what is “cool” and “popular” in mainstream culture. I personally love polka dots, floral print, and basic black. The combination is really fresh and fun to me, but I know some may disagree. Fashion changes daily, so really have to find a style you like and that suits you well.

I am not suggesting that I know everything about style, but I am suggesting that it is chic to wear clothes that fit well and complement your body. I also recommend you wear colors you like, and look good on you. If you don’t know what looks good on you, then try on a bunch of clothes and see what makes you feel happy and comfortable. : ) It’s different for everyone.

Feeling comfortable in your own skin is one of the most attractive qualities in a person.

So strut your stuff and tell me, what makes you feel beautiful? Or handsome? What do you like to wear? Stay natural and well-dressed without overdoing it. Always play up one feature at a time. Keep it classy, girls! Tell me about your style, and dress to express yourself in a way you want people to remember.